Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Expert advice: how to choose the right sofa for sleeping every day. We tell: what to pay attention to so that the sofa serves for many years.
Sometimes living conditions force you to combine the living room and bedroom. And if it is not possible to place a double bed, then the problem is easily solved by buying a folding sofa. And here the main question arises: how to choose a sofa for daily sleep? Will it be convenient to use and sleep comfortably? Take advantage of our recommendations, and you will never regret the lack of a bed.
To start: one moment
Sleeping sofas are divided into two types:
- Guest rooms, as the name implies, are intended for guests. Suitable for occasional use. Constantly sleeping on the guest version is not very convenient. The main risk is that the mechanisms will not withstand the regular load and will fail.
- And for every day – a sofa bed with a comfortable bed and convenient mechanisms for daily use. It is about such sofas that our article will be.
The dimensions of the sofa are determined by the area of the room and the size of the sleeping bed. There is a generally accepted standard that fits most people of average build and up to 180 cm tall.
- For one person: 80 x 200 cm.
- For two: 150 x 200 cm.
If you are taller, choose a more spacious bed. You can calculate the size yourself. It is quite simple to calculate the length: height + 20 cm. And the width is calculated a little differently. Fold your arms over your chest and spread your elbows out to the sides. Measure from elbow to elbow and add 10 cm.
Reliable folding mechanism
There is a review in our blog where you can find out details about popular layout mechanisms : there are only 8 of them. Here, we will talk about the most convenient and reliable, designed for repeated use.
- The Eurobook is more a layout method than a mechanism. The simplest and most reliable. Due to the absence of complex design features, it does not break and does not require constant monitoring. The eurobook sofa is convenient because it does not need to be moved away from the wall during transformation, unlike the “book” mechanism.
- Accordion – unfolds forward, and therefore, it is necessary to provide free space in front of the sofa, at least 1.5 meters. The design of the accordion sofa allows you to equip the bed with an orthopedic mattress.
- Dolphin – used mainly in corner sofas. Unfolds with one hand : easy and simple. It is enough to pull the section out from under the seat and raise it to the general level. The device is complex, but strong and durable.
The health of the internal organs and the whole organism as a whole directly depends on the condition of the spine. During the day, the spinal column is subjected to high loads and night sleep should be as beneficial as possible. That is why doctors recommend sleeping on orthopedic mattresses.
The same materials are used as the basis of a sofa or mattress. And all of them, in one way or another, provide the necessary back support during sleep. All other properties, such as softness or firmness, are adjusted by special mattresses for sofas (toppers). Therefore, be guided by your weight.
What fillers have a supporting effect:
- Polyurethane foam or PPU (popularly “foam rubber”). For the manufacture of sofas, sheet furniture foam rubber is used, with a density of at least 30 kg / m³. Possesses high elasticity and elasticity. But there is a significant limitation – the user’s weight should be no more than 70 kg.
- Spring block Bonnel (Bonnel) + PPU. Most popular content. Used for over 100 years. Affordable to the general public. Suitable for people weighing up to 90 kg.
- Independent spring block – used for the manufacture of orthopedic models of mattresses and sofas. The same polyurethane foam or its modifications are used as the top layer. Recommended load: up to 110 kg.
Must be – bedding needs to be stored somewhere. It is most convenient to fold pillows and blankets in the inner box, you do not have to run far. But if you really liked the model without a drawer, provide storage space within walking distance.
Get a topper
This is a thin mattress specially for a sofa, up to 7 cm high. It is made from various fillers that are used in the top layer of a regular mattress. Performs three useful functions at once.
- Levels the surface. Irregularities are the most common problem of all sofas for sleeping, since the sleeping place is formed from several segments.
- Gives a sleeping place additional properties. It all depends on the content. With the help of a topper, you can enhance orthopedic properties or increase softness.
- Protects upholstery from damage.
How to increase service life
A good sofa lasts at least 10 years. But there are certain rules of operation, adhering to which you can significantly increase the life expectancy of upholstered furniture.
- Do not exceed the permitted load on the bed.
- Do not jump on the couch and do not stand up to your full height.
- The layout mechanism must be periodically cleaned of dust and lubricated.
- Check fasteners from time to time and tighten if necessary.
- For cleaning, use a vacuum cleaner or contact specialized companies. Dry cleaning services are much cheaper than upholstery replacement.
Conscientious manufacturers provide detailed information about their products. See product cards for details.